Sun, sea, sex, sangria… what could be better? As the weather warms up we’re all looking forward to spending time outside, with friends, away from work – ready to enjoy our lives. So pack up your beach reads, grab your bikini and your best friends and head off on holiday. And if, while you’re away, you have a little vacation fling, make sure you remember the following things so you can have a fantastic experience.
- Safety first! Protection doesn’t always mean suncream – although you should bring a bottle because there’s having extreme sunburn will most likely get in the way of you enjoying yourself on your holiday, and even less so during sex. But also make sure to stay safe in other ways – have a system in place with your friends for them to rescue you in case things are getting too weird or violent. Also, make sure you use condoms, even if you’re using other forms of birth control. You should also get tested when you get home and keep your partner’s contact information in case of emergencies.
- If you’re on holiday with your friends, make sure to actually spend some time with them! A fling can be fun but it almost certainly won’t turn into a lasting relationship and it’s not worth losing a friend because you kept running off to hang out with some guy. A nice compromise can be a double date: you spend time with everyone and your friend might meet someone fun too. The rules do change if you’re on holiday with a group or if you’re on holiday with just one other person, but either way your friendship should be your priority.
- Remember that what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. Go into your fling knowing and understanding that this won’t be forever and it’s not worth trying to drag it out. Find out when your fling-partner is leaving, have a dramatic last night together and a romantic kiss before they leave for the airport, and then leave them alone. Keep your fling as either a cherished memory or an anecdote for brunch – don’t try to artificially prolong things by attempting a long-distance relationship with someone who honestly, you don’t know that well.
- Buy yourself something sexy. If you’re going on holiday, treat yourself! Get a new bikini, sarong, dress…. Something to saunter down the beach in and feel like the gorgeous woman you are. Our lives might not actually be like Baywatch, but that doesn’t mean we can’t imagine it! There’s also nothing more attractive than a woman who looks and feels great, so why not treat yourself?
- Try something different. Being with someone new can be extremely freeing, especially if you know it won’t last for long. So, why not see if you enjoy things you haven’t done before? At home, you might not be a romantic, but if you’re on holiday, well, why not walk down the beach, holding your partner’s hand or kiss in front of landmarks? You might discover that, actually, you really enjoy it and you’d like to keep exploring this side of yourself in future relationships.
- Prioritise memories, but pictures can be fun too! Take a picture together with your one-serving holiday romatic partner to keep the memory and experience richer because of it. After all, proper vacations are rare these days, and anything that can help you get through the routine and generic problems back home should be cherished.
There’s nothing like the holiday high. Food is more delicious, the birds sing more beautifully, your friends are even more cherished. If you decide to add a romantic partner into the mix, even briefly, then that can feel pretty wonderful, too. Just remember all this advice and make sure that you’re safe, conscientious and ready to have even more fun.